TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1394 posts ]  Go to page Previous 163 64 65 66 6770 Next

Will Motegi and Versus finally score that 0.00 Nielsen rating they've been chasing for all year?
Yes 65%  65%  [ 28 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 15 ]
Total votes: 43
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:11 am 
ellis wrote:
CART fan wrote:
ellis wrote:
And they addressed that. But we'll ignore that for the sake of pretending this isn't bitterness.

But they won't have a chance to try it at Richmond since the IRL isn't going back.

You cried the racing at Richmond suck. They stop going there and now your crying they aren't going there?

IRL addressed the issue.

No, I believe the drivers cried it sucked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:22 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Good news. Expect the same crappy results for the next two years.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/arti...s-through-2011/

- Honda re-ups through 2011. May pull the plug after 2011 if competitor doesn't join the series. They had originally signed contract in April 2008 to remain in the series through 2013.
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/in ... id=3410001

http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/8 ... martin.tpl

- 2012 Engine/chassis announcement expected by Thanksgiving
- Brazil city announcement expected within 10 days, either Salvador or Rio, all funding in place for race
- IMS CEO Jeff Belskus said he's big fan of the Versus TV deal. As Tony George would say, "Cocaine is helluva drug."

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009092 ... Car+Series

-Danica has signed three year contract with AGR.
-According to Talkin' Terry, the IRL is close to signing title sponsor. Apparently it's Izod. A sponsor they already have.

Last edited by Ferrari on Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:15 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

CART fan wrote:
ellis wrote:
CART fan wrote:
But they won't have a chance to try it at Richmond since the IRL isn't going back.

You cried the racing at Richmond suck. They stop going there and now your crying they aren't going there?

IRL addressed the issue.

No, I believe the drivers cried it sucked.

And once again, IRL has addressed that. So what are you bitching about now exactly? Ah yes. Anything you can.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:55 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the
Quote:
IRL's dead omg
Quote:
Crap series
etc. etc. CART ain't coming back, you can't magically expect them to suddenly be back to the glory days, it'll take time.

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:02 pm 

scotty wrote:
But the IRL are only making those glory days more distant and maybe might be ruining the chances of them coming back.

There are other factors that mean that CART will not come back. For a start, CART @ Texas showed that the hi-tech angle hit a true limit speed wise, at least if you want to race ovals without wearing G-suits.

For another, the auto industry as a whole is seriously hurting. Many consumers are shifting towards smaller practical cars -- would the auto industry want to spend a lot of cash on a very expensive racing program as a result?

The IRL granted could go much further by opening up manufacturers and chassis. But it still wouldn't be CART.

(One way I can think of to go back to a different kind of glory days is to hold races based on new technology, such as electric vehicle races. But I wonder if such a series would capture today's racing fan. It would not be like CART at all, or any of the pseudo-spec series currently around today. I understand there's an electric bike series in the works, but nothing for autos yet...)

Last edited by electrodevo on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:08 pm 

Michael R. wrote:
IMHO if Indycar can make the jump to HD (and I don't mean Versus HD, more like ESPNHD or any other HD Channel that's on both cable & dish) they should get a big jump in view ratings. Having made the jump recently, I don't want to see any sport that isn't in HD (the reason I cancelled SPEED Channel, how many years will it take F1?).

Indycar's been HD for a while, it was when it was on ABC / ESPN. Didn't help. :p

But, yeah, it really sucks watching the crappy F1 feed after seeing any American racing series broadcast in HD. Even minor stock car series on Speed often get the HD treatment, but not F1. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:29 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

you really can't compare IRL and F1 broadcasts in terms of quality and broadcasting. Most f the US Series are being covered by National TV Stations (FOX, ESPN, abc, SPEED, etc) while F1 is being produced as Worldfeed. And getting all the HD equipment around the world costs a shitload of money extra.

Also, HD still isn't that popular over here since Standard TV (PAL) also offers a great picture quality, NTSC on the other side looks like crap.

/OT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

With the general feeling ITT, there might as well be a clock in the first post counting down to the press conference where they announce the Indycar Series folding.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:39 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Ratings for last 3 races have been found:

Sonoma: .25
Chicago: .24
Japan: .14

The ratings average for 11 races on Versus fell from .26 to .24.

http://www.ibj.com/the-score/2009/09/25 ... /post/7271

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:03 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'll agree with you that something needs to be done urgently about this Versus crap, they have good pre and post race coverage but it's useless if no one is watching it, they need to get IRL onto a major channel without adverts, then the interest will surely grow again, and with that will come money.

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:41 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Juihi wrote:
I'll agree with you that something needs to be done urgently about this Versus crap, they have good pre and post race coverage but it's useless if no one is watching it, they need to get IRL onto a major channel without adverts, then the interest will surely grow again, and with that will come money.

Not only have ratings dropped severely. It also took them 51 more hours of coverage to beat ESPN 25.9 million viewers for 11 races last season. A struggling series plus struggling network doesn't equal growth.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009092 ... ar+efforts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:07 am 

It's not as if Versus is doing badly, look at the ratings for the last couple of WECs:

WEC 34: 1.4
WEC 35: 0.5
WEC 36: 0.5
WEC 37: 0.5
WEC 38: 0.65
WEC 39: 0.6
WEC 40: N/A
WEC 41: 1.1
WEC 42: 0.6

The IRL can't even reach half of those figures. The reasons why the WEC have those type of numbers are they have a good product and they have the marketing thanks to Zuffa, the people who own the WEC. All the IRL needs is some good marketing behind them, but they had once hired Gene Simmons to do that for them. :flag:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:10 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Burlap Sack wrote:
It's not as if Versus is doing badly, look at the ratings for the last couple of WECs:

I'm curious to see what WEC could pull on ESPN or ESPN2. The ratings you posted were about same as the IRL pulled on ESPN or ESPN2. Besides WEC and IRL on Versus. College Football average rating is .3 and NHL regular season games pull .3. The Tour de France averaged 479,800 viewers this past July.

I agree IndyCar needs good marketing behind them. But being on Versus will continue be achilles heel for them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:22 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Maybe if Comcast (they own Versus) could actually make it part of every basic cable/satellite package...maybe we would see ratings that rival the NASCAR Busch Series on ESPN?*

*Yeah, I know, I'm stretching it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:01 pm 
Tommy Vercetti wrote:
Maybe if Comcast (they own Versus) could actually make it part of every basic cable/satellite package...maybe we would see ratings that rival the NASCAR Busch Series on ESPN?*

*Yeah, I know, I'm stretching it.

The Nationwide series can actually get 1.0 ratings. You are more than just stretching.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How much of Versus' viewership comes from Directv subscribers?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:42 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Cartman wrote:
How much of Versus' viewership comes from Directv subscribers?

Versus was available in 75 million homes. 6+ million subscribers of DirecTV have Versus.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:45 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

http://twitcam.com/2v4m

Livestream provided by Antonio Pizzonia, who's in a hotelroom in Las Vegas right now with Tony Kanaan and JP de Oliviera. Too bad I do not understand a word of it, looks like they have a lot of fun!

They were even replying to some tweets that I posted :lol: Those guys are living THE life! The drive the fastest cars in the world and they see a lot of places on this planet!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Aparently Toyota when aproached by IRL about re-entering the series mentioned the possibility of using Subaru rather then Toyota to do so. 8O

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:17 am 
Head Muppet

Shane wrote:
Aparently Toyota when aproached by IRL about re-entering the series mentioned the possibility of using Subaru rather then Toyota to do so. 8O

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1394 posts ]  Go to page Previous 163 64 65 66 6770 Next