TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:43 pm 

Domination has been a factor in F1 for, like, ever. In a sport without spec parts, fuelled by the amount of money you have for developments, domination is a certainty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:42 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Don't worry, Mercedes are probably pulling out after 2018, so then it'll be someone else's turn to dominate :p

Honda, obviously :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Don't worry, Mercedes are probably pulling out after 2018, so then it'll be someone else's turn to dominate :p

Yes, Wolff Racing :whistling: ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Nah, next race Hamilton will sneeze within a mile of a car on a qualifying/practice hot lap and they'll disqualify him

We aren't in the 2011 "Hamilton's fault" season anymore mate

Seriously tough, I think the officials seem to take more into account the result of an incident before issuing penalties. So taking out both drivers of your team and wrecking the title chase may have seemed punishment enough. Can't say i agree with the approach, especially when you also take out two other serious race contenders in the process, but that's the feeling I got from the recent races.
I'd rather the officials wander this side of the fence though, and let em race.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:54 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

For a 4 time World Champion Sebastian Vettel sure does have quite a few hissy fits and drive like Maldonado more than he should.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Nah, next race Hamilton will sneeze within a mile of a car on a qualifying/practice hot lap and they'll disqualify him

We aren't in the 2011 "Hamilton's fault" season anymore mate

Seriously tough, I think the officials seem to take more into account the result of an incident before issuing penalties. So taking out both drivers of your team and wrecking the title chase may have seemed punishment enough. Can't say i agree with the approach, especially when you also take out two other serious race contenders in the process, but that's the feeling I got from the recent races.
I'd rather the officials wander this side of the fence though, and let em race.

If he only took out kimi I would be ok
with it. Destroyed his own title change and that of the team. But he also took out someone outside the team.

Also pretty convinced they would throw the ban hammer at him if he didn't have a shot at the title

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:31 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

How was that a racing incident? Are we assuming that Vettel's shit start and moving across taking out 3 cars and himself was called racing :? :? :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
had Vettel taken some advantage from the incident and heading to victory quite sure measures would be taken

or not, just some points at his tally and a fine. Is a Ferrari driver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
How was that a racing incident? Are we assuming that Vettel's shit start and moving across taking out 3 cars and himself was called racing :? :? :?

the crash was vettel's fault, yes - but he didnt intentionally cause it. taking away verstappen's line into the corner is still "fair" from a sporting perspective; vettel simply had no idea kimi got the start that he did. i think verstappen's signature weaving in the braking zone is far more dangerous and unsporting, but he somehow gets a pass because he's the shiny new prince of f1

ps. i hate vettel as a driver, but it would be troublesome if the sport penalized him for an honest mistake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:42 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

it's not an honest mistake, he would have pushed Verstappen all the way to the wall, just like Schumacher used to do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
webbsy wrote:
For a 4 time World Champion Sebastian Vettel sure does have quite a few hissy fits and drive like Maldonado more than he should.

Same as Schumacher

Unstoppable when's he is in a dominant car.

Drivers like a lunatic when he's under the slightest amount of pressure.

That's a tad harsh man. Or am I missing the sarcasm in this post?
Vettel had a garbage start and he was just trying to limit the damage, albeit overly aggressively. I don't think he felt pressure or threw a hissy fit. Just a blatant misjudgment and brain cramp on his part.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:19 pm 

that's naive. Remember the summer of 2000 when things weren't going his way? Twice over aggressive at the start, twice out at T1.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:04 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fabs wrote:
that's naive. Remember the summer of 2000 when things weren't going his way? Twice over aggressive at the start, twice out at T1.

Twice over aggressive at the start?? If I remember correctly it was Zonta who hit Schumacher at Austria because Zonta was braking too late into turn 1. At Hockenheim Schumacher got squeezed into the path of Fisichella because Coulthard basically fucked up his start and did a criss cross move heading into turn 1.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:29 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Karan wrote:
Scotty wrote:
webbsy wrote:

Same as Schumacher

Unstoppable when's he is in a dominant car.

Drivers like a lunatic when he's under the slightest amount of pressure.

Vettel had a garbage start and he was just trying to limit the damage, albeit overly aggressively. I don't think he felt pressure or threw a hissy fit. Just a blatant misjudgment and brain cramp on his part.

When a driver is in close quarters wheel to wheel combat, some drivers are more prone to brain fades/letting the pressure get to them, while others you can rely on. Seb for me at least, isn't the latter.

If he is half a second to a second infront he is very very good, but if in a vulnerable position, who knows what he will do. OK, he is no Pastor, but nor is he a Ricciardo or an Alonso. For a 4 time World Champion, this shouldn't even be a debate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Karan wrote:

Lunatic might be a strong word, but you've pretty much made my point for me. He does buckle under pressure.

He won 4 championships by getting the lead in the best car on the grid and keeping it. Schumacher did the same thing.

During those 4 championships when he found himself not in the lead he collided with a lot of drivers. I don't have the time to go through examples but straight away I can think of Webber at Turkey, Button at Spa, I'm sure there is more.

Then there was last year at Mexico too where he completely lost the plot as well.

Abu Dhabi 2012 springs to mind as well as turn 4 of lap one at Brazil in 2012 when he swept across Bruno Senna receiving a big thump in the process.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fair enough guys and I respect your opinions however I think you can easily cherry pick examples for most multiple world champions who have spent so much time at the front fighting for wins, where they had moments of major misjudgment. Stewart's interview with Senna springs to mind. On a side note, guys like Webber had the same best car on the grid but certainly weren't able to do much with it aside from a few fortunate wins...

Now by the same token you can cherry pick as many examples where they've effectively sliced through the field without incident as well. I agree with the consensus that Vettel probably lacks bit of that finesse in wheel-to-wheel combat as some of his peers and other multi world champions but definitely disagree with generalized statements like him and Schumacher buckle under pressure as there's certainly plenty of situations where they've proven that they can cope.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:56 am 

Now I've looked at the incident more in detail, Verstappen and Kimi get good starts, Kimi the best. Vettel gets a shit one and goes to cover Verstappen, who already has Kimi alongside of him and can't move to the right because Vettel has come across.

If Vettel didn't move across, Verstappen could have moved to the right and there would have been no contact.

All Vettel's fault. He just kept moving left.

codename_47 wrote:
Sebastien "ralf schumacher hockenheim 03" Vettel

pretty much identical

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Looking at it again, I actually think that there would have been an accident, even if Kimi hadn't been there. Vettel comes across so aggressively, that Max would have to swerve to the pit wall or hit the brakes to avoid an accident. Given that Max had a wheel alongside, he should not be forced to move or brake.

There are too many times where this does happen, and the driver behind brakes to avoid an accident, and there's no penalty because there's no accident. It's nice when the innocent party keeps their foot in and an accident happens, but sadly it's usually the innocent driver that loses a wing or a wheel.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kimi might still have been close enough behind to have hit Max had he braked in that situation. That's what the people saying Max has blame in this don't get. You brake to avoid someone in the run down to T1 and you risk being hit from behind. That's why Ferrari's attempt to get Schummy in front of Rubens at Austria 2000 resulted in the pile up. The people behind aren't expecting you to slow more then they should be expecting.

Vettel should have been punished. I suspect that if it was someone with form for being all crashy then they'd have been given a ban like Grosjean was for his similar move at Spa '12.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
Kimi might still have been close enough behind to have hit Max had he braked in that situation. That's what the people saying Max has blame in this don't get. You brake to avoid someone in the run down to T1 and you risk being hit from behind. That's why Ferrari's attempt to get Schummy in front of Rubens at Austria 2000 resulted in the pile up. The people behind aren't expecting you to slow more then they should be expecting.

Vettel should have been punished. I suspect that if it was someone with form for being all crashy then they'd have been given a ban like Grosjean was for his similar move at Spa '11.

Nigel Roebuck wrote that Vettel's 'naughty points' total for this season is already nearing ban territory, and that the stewards declared it a racing incident because they don't want the title fight affected by him sitting out a race. I must admit, I've heard stupider conspiracy theories...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next